We were greeted by Penny the mischevious kitten and Sake the heavy breathing albeit laid back pug. They both eyed us for a moment. And then Penny went into attack mode on my leopard dress. She wouldn’t give up until the queen of the jungle, my very unalive printed dress, knew who was BOSS in this household.
Patti is a foodie-pro who runs Worth the Whisk. Her husband, Larry is a professor at USC. Together they run a very pretty household just a mile from Marilyn Monroe’s tucked away gravesite and a stones throw from UCLA.
“You girls ought to go down to Marilyn Monroe’s grave, it’s a quick mile walk from here. Here lemme show you on the computer.” – Patti
So we did. We went.
But not until we had stuffed ourselves silly with Lasagna. Patti was making an extra lasagna for a friend who had just had surgery. She’s ridiculously sweet and kind like that.
1 Box Lasagna Noodles (whole wheat will absorb everything in the pan and get mushy. Use white pasta for lasagnas)
1 Pint Fat Free Cottage Cheese
1/3 C Shredded Parmagiana Reggiano
Several Cups Shredded Mozzarella (it’s up to you how much to use)
1 Can Spinach (or two handfuls fresh spinach, reduced down on the stove top)
Small Can of Black Olives, sliced
“This is the part where I start looking in my fridge for things I can sneak into the cheese mixture and hide in the lasagna.” – Patti
1/4C Egg Free Eggs or simply 1 egg
Several Cans Chopped, Peeled Tomatoes blended in a bowl with Tomato Basil Classico sauce
1 Tsp Dried Rosemary
Salt & Pepper
1. Heat a large pot of salted water to a slow boil. Add noodles. Cook 8-10 minutes or until soft. Strain and cool until they can be handled.
2. Combine egg with cheeses and cottage cheese.
3. Take a large baking pan and drizzle olive oil in the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of noodles until pan is covered.
4. Spoon cheese mixture atop the noodles. Layer olives, tomatoes and cheese noodles.
6. Top with remaining tomatoes and cheese.
7. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.